Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

8.03.2011

L*O*V*E Letter Photo Art: Free Prints!

I've seen letter photo art around for awhile now, but for some reason I suddenly became very interested in it this week and just had to try making one, like right away, so I chose the word 'LOVE' and got right to work.



My four year old helped me search our yard for 'letter shapes'.  We found the 'L' on the wheel barrow, the 'O' in a daisy, the 'V' on a log in the wood pile, and the 'E' on the fence gate.  We had fun, made a craft, and practiced the alphabet all at the same time.   Can't beat that!

I started with just a plain 5 1/2" x 11 1/2" wood frame from the dollar store that had a chicken picture in it. 


The wood was rough so it needed a little sanding before being painted.  I stained the frame in dark walnut (to show through when it was distressed), spray painted it with Rustoleum's Heirloom White, and then distressed it.  I did end up needing to add a touch of stain in the distressed areas with a small rag to darken it a bit more, probably because the stain wasn't completely dry when I painted it.  I know, should have waited, but it was getting dark and I wasn't feeling very patient at the time.  I was too excited to see how it would look when it was done! :)


I used a point and shoot camera on the macro setting to take the pictures then edited and cropped them to make the 'letters' in the photos stand out as much as possible.

After searching and searching online for free printable letter art, I wasn't able to find any, so if you'd like to use the one I made, you're more than welcome to.  Just click on the image to bring it to full resolution and then save it to your computer

FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
*Please don't post these prints on your blog, thanks!

Sepia


Black and White


There are two side by side images here because this is how I printed mine.  I figured I might as well print two at a time and not waste the extra photo paper.  Just crop it to one image in a photo editing program before you print if you only need one.

Printing in Microsoft Photo Gallery
Open the image in photo gallery, select print, then select the paper size you want.  (I selected letter.)  Unselect 'fit picture to frame', then choose a template (I selected full page.).  After printing it onto 8 1/2 by 11 photo paper (check your dollar store), I cut the image down to fit the size of the opening in my frame.  I didn't get this right the first time, so if you're not sure if the size is right, print a rough draft onto regular paper first to check.

More Ideas
You could also print the image and then decoupage it onto a board, I have a few ideas in mind that I want to try that involve letter art and Mod Podge, I'll share them with you when I get a chance to try them.

One more look at the before and after...


This frame will hang as part of a grouping of family photos.  I love that the pictures for the letters came from our own backyard, so they have meaning as well.  If you have never tried this before, I highly recommend it, like I said, it's so fun!  It might even change the way that you look at the world, you might start seeing it in letters. :)

Today's Fabulous Find...Letter Photo Art




I'm linking up to these fun parties. Click here to browse by the buttons.
All Thingz Related   Be Different Act Normal   Beyond The Picket Fence   Blue Cricket Design  Chic on a Shoestring Creation Corner  Creations By Kara
Designer Gardens   Dittle Dattle   Domestically Speaking   Embellishing Life Everyday   Finding Fabulous   Fingerprints On The Fridge
Funky Junk Interiors   House of Hepworths  I Heart Naptime   Just A Girl  Keeping It Simple
Serenity Now   Seven Thirty-Three   Sew Can Do   Sew Much Ado   Shanty 2 Chic  Sister's Stuff   Skip To My Lou
Someday Crafts   Somewhat Simple  Sugar Bee Crafts   Tator Tots and Jello   The Creative Crate  The DIY Showoff
The Girl Creative   The Shabby Creek Cottage   The Shabby Nest   Tip Junkie   Today's Creative Blog
Under The Table and Dreaming   Home is Where My Story Begins   The 36th Avenue  

 

Pin It!

29 comments:

farmhouse-story said...

this is just SO awesome and creative, jantet! thanks so much!

Karen said...

Janet- I have wanted to make one of these for soooo long! I am so excited to try this!! You are so nice to share:)

said...

What a sweet and original piece! I L*O*V*E projects that have a special meaning, especially projects that celebrate family.

Jester said...

I haven't been wowed by letter art, till now....and I especially love that the pix came from your yard, its makes it a million times better! Beautiful job!

Brie @ Darling Doodles said...

I like the unique personal twist you gave this instead of just random letters from anywhere. It makes it special. Thanks for sharing! I came by from the somewhat simple link party and I'm a new follower!

darlingdoodles.blogspot.com

Maureen said...

I love these picture letters! Turned out fabulous!!

http://www.releasemecreations.com

Lisa @ Organized Chaos said...

Great job! Looks really good. You have inspired me to go out and try a word of my own with my kids! :)~ Thanks for the inspiration!
~Lisa @ Organized Chaos

Kathleen said...

I follow you so I saw this yesterday but I am popping over again today through Creation Corner. Thanks so much! I downloaded a copy for my house!

(another) Janet said...

LOVE IT!

For letters, check out

www.flickr.com/photos/lwr/collections/72157594587080023/

Shana said...

Thanks for the photos...it looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

What a creative idea! I love that you made it a game with your little one to search out the shapes/letters!

jess@balancing the dream said...

absolutely gorgeous!

Tanya Anurag said...

Nice... 'E' is my favorite of all the alphabets.

Saw your link on 'Coastal Charm'. I am hosting my first Link-up party - Tea Time Thursdays. Would be glad to see some of your awesome posts there. Hope to see ya at the party :)

http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/celebrating-one-party-time.html

Homeroad said...

Thanks so much! I love it~
Susan

Donna said...

Great job, will have to try this myself!

Tiffany said...

Love it! I have a similar look on the header of my blog.
ladycrafter14.blogspot.com

Janet said...

To Tiffany: I really love the way that you made your letter art, especially the piano keys for the 'E'! That would have been perfect for mine, especially since it's hanging above my piano. Thanks for the link. :)

Digital Scrapbooking Made Easy said...

This is the cutest idea! I'm going to make one and hang it in our bedroom. Thanks for sharing!

Gems said...

How beautiful and so personal. I shall be looking around my home with a new focus!

Gems x

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

AMAZING! I love letter art. Yours turned out fabulous. If you get a chance I would love you to link your love letter photo up to More the Merrier Monday. It lasts through Wednesday so you have plenty of time to stop by. See you there. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

chris said...

What a great piece of art...and how generous to share. Thank you!

Violet said...

What a great DIY project! Thanks so much for sharing your print and the wonderful idea! Can't wait to try it! :)

I {Heart} Recess said...

Thanks for sharing! This will be my sister's wedding present.

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

This is really nice, Janet! Your letter photos are awesome. Great job finding the perfect match for each letter!

Carolyn said...

I love what you've done with the frame. You've added heaps of character.

Unknown said...

These are AWESOME! Thanks for leaving a sweet note earlier, I LOVE your blog! I'm excited to be your newest follower and would LOVE for you to share the 'love' on your next visit!!!

XO, AImee

Irish Italian Blessings said...

This is gorgeous!!!

Audrey said...

hi Janet ... love this very creative picture. Glad you are including your children in your projects. That is so important.
Blessings. Audrey Z. at Timeless Treasures. http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com

Julia said...

Love this! And thank you so much for the printable letters. So hard to find really nice ones. i made one of these myself, and it's harder than it looks... now I just need to find the courage to make another one form my son with the longer name!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails